Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

We were near the end of our return drive from the home of our gracious in-laws who hosted our Thanksgiving meal.   I was comfortably drowsy in the passenger seat, when my husband said, "Look!"  I opened my eyes to the sight of our super big box store with every parking space filled.   We were less than two hours from the start of Black Friday.

As we embark on this season of conspicuous consumption I was reminded of this heart breaking image of a small boy in the rain fleeing the army of Burma, or so it was captioned.
We are called upon to bear witness of the suffering in this world, especially when children are involved.  Consider the words of Jesus, who arrived on this earth in a most humble manner.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
Matthew 19:14



The song, Noel by Selah,is sung in Kituba, the language of the Congo.  There's a profound truth in the words, "If you want to know the Child, you have to come kneel."  

No comments:

Post a Comment