Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Deep Love of God


Our Outing to Lake Crescent in The Olympic National Park
My husband and I took loaded up the dog today and took a ride to Lake Crescent in the Olympic National Park.   It was a nice outing.  If I had not grown up near the lake, however, I could probably enjoy it more than I do.    Like most local children I was raised on all the eerie stories associated with what we then thought as a bottomless lake.   My big brother was especially proficient at retelling the stories as we drove around the lake loaded in my parents' station wagon.   To this day I only like swimming in places where my feet can touch bottom.  
Lake Crescent is now believed to be over 1000 feet deep but this is a scholarly best guess.   It's actual depth is known only to God, much like God's unfathomable love for us.   The lake teaches me of the fear of the Lord, not the fear of His judgment, but the holy awe and reverence that a child of His grace can have for Him.    When my feet can't touch bottom, I can trust I am being carried by my big, strong, loving and awesome God!   How big is your God?

Psalm 33:8 (NIV)
8Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him.

How Deep The Father's Love For Us - Sarah Sadler



No comments:

Post a Comment