Monday, March 12, 2012

Joy Unspeakable and Full of Glory

"Christ and the Sinner" 
Vasily Polenov
(1886-1887)

I've been working on a Youtube video for the song, "When Love Sees You,  Jesus" sung by Mac Powell from the album,  Music Inspired By the Story.  It has had me looking for images from the life of Christ and, in doing so, I found this painting by Vasily Polenov, a Russian artist, who lived from 1884 to 1927.   It's an amazing painting, this masterpiece.   Most of our stories will never be put in writing let alone in art.  This woman, caught in adultery, has a story preserved in Holy Scripture.   When Jesus said whoever is without sin can cast the first stone, all of her accusers left.   There is none of us, not one, without sin, but Jesus is our grace.  If the woman had not been so prominently set before the Jesus,  she would have been stoned to death, her story known only to God.   It is the way most of our lives will be lived,  our real stories, not the just the one we deem presentable,  known only to God, the half not told, the joy unspeakable, the unrecorded words that Jesus wrote in the sand for this woman.  "Joy Unspeakable" by Barney E. Warren was written about the same time that this artist lived, "Joy Unspeakable" by Curt McKee is a contemporary version.



Joy Unspeakable 
  1. I have found His grace is all complete,
    He supplieth every need;
    While I sit and learn at Jesus’ feet,
    I am free, yes, free indeed.
    • Refrain:
      It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
      Full of glory, full of glory;
      It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
      Oh, the half has never yet been told.
  2. I have found the pleasure I once craved,
    It is joy and peace within;
    What a wondrous blessing, I am saved
    From the awful gulf of sin.
  3. I have found that hope so bright and clear,
    Living in the realm of grace;
    Oh, the Savior’s presence is so near,
    I can see His smiling face.
  4. I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
    How its waves of glory roll;
    It is like a great o’erflowing well,
    Springing up within my soul.

    Joy Unspeakable - Curt McKee

No comments:

Post a Comment