Thursday, June 14, 2012

Let Everything that has Breath Praise the Lord!


I am the husband of Beanscot, a guest blogger.

The title of this is from Psalm 150:6

The context of this verse emphasizes the use of voice and instruments in praising God. However, many people point out, and rightly so, that every aspect of life can serve as such an instrument. This, I think, is a lot more difficult than singing or playing an instrument. One must really be on top of one's game to effect such a result on a daily basis.

This is why engaging in distinctly Christian activity when possible is helpful, simply because most of life can't be overtly Christian activity, but all activity should be directed toward the target of glorifying God. It is likely why I listen to Christian music, simply because it is more likely to be an asset in keeping myself aimed toward this target than regular music is.  If the music I listen to is vertically oriented, I am more likely to be.

It seems to be that this verse could serve as a screen, much like "Seek first the kingdom  of God, etc. is (Matt. 6:33).  Activities and ways of engaging in them should be evaluated as to whether they promote God's kingdom. In like manner, words and actions should be evaluated as to whether they are connected to the praise of God. Those that are not, well, I leave that up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment