Tuesday, January 21, 2014

More Than I Can Handle

Gethsemane by Wassilij Grigorjewitsch Perow, (1833–1882), 1878, Moscu, Gallery Tret'jakov.
Matthew 26:38-39
New International Version (NIV)
38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”

Psalm 22:1
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
[b]Far from my deliverance are the words of my [c]groaning.

2 Corinthians 1:8-9
New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
8 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters,[a] about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

“I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much.”

― Mother Teresa
Sorry, Mother Teresa, you were wrong.  You were carrying burdens you were never meant to carry.  God can and does give us more than we can handle; for if we were equipped to handle anything and everything, we would not need God.  And, oh, do we need Him, we truly do.  
1 Corinthians 10:13
New International Version (NIV)
13 No temptation[a] has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted[b] beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted,[c] he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
We got it wrong when we confused temptation with trouble.  Yes, we are all tempted and that sometimes leads to sin; but 1 Corinthians 10:13 refers to temptation, not overwhelming sorrow, grief, and tragedy.  So when you're looking at that closed door and waiting for that window to open, desperate to escape your trial, stop and rest; just rest, because God has your back.  Yes this life is sometimes terrible, sometimes wonderful, and almost always baffling, yet in all of this we are never separate from the grace of God; and that is enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment