Saturday, November 1, 2014

Marching to Zion by Way of Halloween

Psalm 145:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 One generation shall commend your works to another,
    and shall declare your mighty acts.

Psalm 100:5 English Standard Version (ESV)
5 For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.

Luke 1:50 English Standard Version (ESV)
50 And his mercy is for those who fear him
    from generation to generation.

We were strongly encouraged to come to work in costume this Halloween, but I felt long past the age of dressing for this holiday and had mixed feelings about a Christian even celebrating it.  Still I wanted to cooperate with the coworkers I have grown to love.  So I popped an old flowered hat on my head and clutched my grandmother's Bible to my side, telling whoever asked that I was a church lady.  I found it lovely to be able to carry a Bible, especially my grandmother's Bible, at work; and it didn't even have to be tucked into a bag or disguised as an app on my iPad.  I enjoyed it so much that I've got a list going in my head on what will enhance my costume for next Halloween: vintage glasses, a smart handbag, dress gloves, a proper hankie and possibly life savers for whoever stops by my cubicle.  
And as my grandparents went so also goes my own march to Zion...

We're Marching To Zion (Hymn with words and music) - Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment