Sunday, February 7, 2016

What Matters In the End

The reunion of Jacob and Joseph

Then Jacob said, "It must be true! My son Joseph is alive! I will go and see him before I die." Gen. 45:28

Then Jacob said to Joseph, "Now let me die, for I have seen you with my own eyes and know you are still alive." Gen. 46:30

Jacob had lived a deceptive, complicated, shrewd life, at least in his younger years. Now, however, he   has mellowed. One could speculate that God had worked the deceptiveness out of him in the years since Joseph disappeared. He now can be satisfied simply by seeing Joseph again. This is no small thing, though. Compared to most of the aspirations Jacob had, this is clearly the most monumental of them all. Seeing the favorite son again when he's supposed to be dead, well....

Wisdom likely teaches us between the greater and lesser in life's experiences. I used to figure that I needed to make a few wise, right choices on the major issues of life. I'm not sure if I'm still in that pursuit. I suppose I should be. As Jacob learned, so should we, that contentment comes from getting the major goals of life met.
beanscot's husband

No comments:

Post a Comment