Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Lifetime of Moments

Rembrandt van Rijn - Head of an old man (Study)

Leviticus 19:32 English Standard Version (ESV)
32 “You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

Genesis 1:27 New King James Version (NKJV)
27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Psalm 139:14 New International Version (NIV)
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

Hebrews 9:27-28New Life Version (NLV)
27 It is in the plan that all men die once. After that, they will stand before God and be judged. 28 It is the same with Christ. He gave Himself once to take away the sins of many. When He comes the second time, He will not need to give Himself again for sin. He will save all those who are waiting for Him.

I sat next to an old man today and spend some time helping him with paperwork.  Ninety years old, he reminded me of a precious rare book to be handled with care and treasured.  Although I couldn't ask him at the time, I wondered if he, who was made in his mother's womb and in the image of God, knew how important he was to the Savior.  Did he know his Maker?  Did he know the One who shed his blood for him?  Did he know this great love?   I pray so.   God, who knows his every heart beat, still has a plan and purpose for his life.  
No one is promised the gift of years.  No one knows how many chapters have been written in their book or when their story ends.  Each moment is a gift.   Don't wait to accept Jesus as Lord.

1 comment: