Friday, May 20, 2016

When a David Saves a Saul


The Lord gives his own reward for doing good and for being loyal, and I refused to kill you even when the Lord placed you in my power; for you are the Lord's anointed one. I Samuel 26:23

This is the second time that David has spared King Saul's life. A similar event is recorded in ch.24. Both times David had stealthily gotten to Saul and had opportunity to kill him, but he takes an almost unduly noble route and refuses to carry it out. Even after being hunted like a wild animal, even when he has already been anointed to take over as king, David regards Saul as someone special (currently still the king) and lets him off the hook.

I dare say most of us would do something more retributive than David was. He even gave Saul his spear back. Where is justice in that? The nobility, the taking of the high road in these circumstances is, to me, a striking case of personal greatness.

God is good. God is loyal. David was being Godlike. It is really a big challenge to show such mercy when people have broken rules, taken cheap shots, or generally mistreated me. Sometimes I can only hope to have correctly blended justice and mercy. I would like David around to advise me.
by beanscot's husband

No comments:

Post a Comment