Saturday, September 17, 2016

Unashamed


For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. Rom. 1:16 NLT

 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit.  I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God. I Cor. 2:4-5

I find myself often less than enthusiastic to share the Gospel. I suspect it is because I am so self-conscious, so wondering how I will be received or how I come across. I also wonder if the person I would talk to would care about what I have to say. This didn't appear to be Paul's problem, though. He authored both of these passages.

When it first rolled out, Christianity was a new thing, the Gospel a plain thing, not appealing to scholars and sophisticated thinkers. It still isn't. Christians were new kids on the block, and often despised. Today genuine believers can be despised.

If Paul was alive today, he would tell us that the Gospel hasn't changed, it still is actually plain, almost deceptively simple in its content. He would also say that it has the power to make alive those who are dead. Paul relied on the power of God, and so should you and I. He has our back.
Beanscot's husband

No comments:

Post a Comment