Monday, February 20, 2017

Playing His Song

Psalm 33:1-4 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Steadfast Love of the Lord
33 Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous!
    Praise befits the upright.
2 Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre;
    make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!
3 Sing to him a new song;
    play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
4 For the word of the Lord is upright,
    and all his work is done in faithfulness.

Many years ago my husband and I dropped in on a woman in the congregation doing what is known in church speak as visitation.  She was gracious and welcoming, pleased to see us; but I found myself uncomfortable, because she was different than anyone I knew and simple in thought and action.   While there, she entertained us with her autoharp and song.  I liked her music but didn't know why and wasn't sure I should like it.   (Why I thought I was a paragon of sophistication, I don't know.)  What I do know now that it was Appalachian music or what we now like to call roots or Americana music.  I wish for a visitation do over, where I could tell her how good she was and how she touched my soul; and she did or I wouldn't yet remember her.  I hope she went on to live a beautiful life with her Savior, playing her harp, with His melody in her heart.  Iris Dement's singing reminds me of her.    

 Leaning On the Everlasting Arms - Iris Dement 


No comments:

Post a Comment