Sunday, February 3, 2013

My God, My Crossing Guard



Proverbs 4:23
New International Version (NIV)
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
    for everything you do flows from it.


Psalm 5:11-12
New International Version (NIV)
11 But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
12 Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous;
    you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

I had the opportunity this week to drive around town the young man who lives in our house but doesn't want to be blogged about.  I quickly learned from him what a road menace I was!  I suppose it should be expected, since I'm the one who gave him permission to ride his little bike down a hill without first teaching him how to brake, something I remembered when he was halfway down.  It was a lesson learned the hard way, as most of the lessons I learn and teach.  There was another hill many years ago when I was by age if not wisdom in charge of my little brother.  When he asked me if it would be okay to take his bike down a dirt trail, I answered rather nonchalantly, "Sure."   I realized when I saw him and his bike do a 360 in the air that perhaps I should have given it more thought.  Relieved that he was still alive, I checked him out for bumps and bruises and sternly warned him not to tell Mom.  To his credit, he didn't.  

I often find myself foolishly heading down the wrong hills, ending up bruised and broken.   If only I stop running from my Lord's protection, I'd avoid so much misery.  Last night I went to bed angry and woke up still miffed that joy hadn't come in the morning.  I was fiercely guarding my heart instead of letting the fierce love of Jesus guard it for me.  It's always good to stop, look and listen.

"Broken Things" - Julie Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment