Thursday, February 7, 2013

My God, My Pathmaker


Proverbs 16:9
English Standard Version (ESV)
9 The heart of man plans his way,
    but the Lord establishes his steps.


Colossians 1:16
English Standard Version (ESV)
16 For by[a] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.

When I was a teenager in Young People's group, we fervently sang the song, "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus."  It was lovely and moving, especially if sung in front of a campfire.  When I think back to my younger self, I'm grateful that I hadn't yet counted the cost of following Jesus.  I hadn't yet counted the heartbreaks, the trials, the ills and woes that were to come.  If I had known then what I know now, would I still be following Jesus?   I'd like to think I would.  I'm thankful, though, that God only revealed what I needed to have revealed, the truth that He is God and I am not. I needed to step down from my heart's throne and place Jesus there, and there He has stayed despite any efforts I've made to dethrone Him.

Each one of us was created to be in a relationship with our Heavenly Father. To be in rebellion against God is more than being a duck out of water, it's also being a duck choosing to keep himself out of water.  God is God, whether I follow Him or not.  Still He's given me the choice and I chose to follow Him.

Jadon Lavik - "I Have Decided to Follow Jesus"


No comments:

Post a Comment