Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Family Gatherings

Ruth 1:16  English Standard Version (ESV)
16 But Ruth said, “Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 English Standard Version (ESV)
A Time for Everything
3 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

2 a time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;

Ephesians 5:31-32 New International Version (NIV)

31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[a] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.

I find myself, this day after Easter, being very thankful for families in general and my family in particular, as we should all be thankful for those who belong to us.  I am now of the generation of grandmothers and mothers of adult children and the time of child rearing is behind me.  Our children are now the adults of vitality and promise and their children perhaps more so.  We miss family who now reside in Heaven while embracing the new members that are added.  All feet are welcomed under the family table.  One day we who belong to Christ, His bride, will be invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb but until that day we gather together in families, the breaking of bread, our preparation for that divine meal.  Yes, I am thankful for family.

Revelation 19:6-9 English Standard Version (ESV)

The Marriage Supper of the Lamb
6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,

“Hallelujah!
For the Lord our God
    the Almighty reigns.
7 Let us rejoice and exult
    and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
    and his Bride has made herself ready;
8 it was granted her to clothe herself
    with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.


9 And the angel said[a] to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

Breaking Bread - Johnny Cash

No comments:

Post a Comment