Thursday, April 2, 2015

What I Don't Know of the God I Know

Psalm 72:12-14 New International Version (NIV)
12 For he will deliver the needy who cry out,
    the afflicted who have no one to help.
13 He will take pity on the weak and the needy
    and save the needy from death.
14 He will rescue them from oppression and violence,
    for precious is their blood in his sight.

John 3:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

2 Peter 3:9 New International Version (NIV)
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

John 16:33 New International Version (NIV)
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Romans 11:34-36 New International Version (NIV)
34 “Who has known the mind of the Lord?
    Or who has been his counselor?”[a]
35 “Who has ever given to God,
    that God should repay them?”[b]
36 For from him and through him and for him are all things.
    To him be the glory forever! Amen.

I've been challenged today by two men who want to know why God would allow such evil in the world and why such a God should even be believed in or followed?  It's not a new question and I've asked it myself, especially when I see children suffer.  If my heart breaks,  I imagine God's heart breaks even more so. Why does God allow suffering?  I don't know.  I can't begin to know the mind of God but I do know some of His character.  He is good and loving just and merciful.  He remains so, even when man chooses to commit horrible acts of evil upon each other.  Why doesn't He intervene?  I don't know.  He is God and his ways are not mine.  He is God and I am not.   Why doesn't He show Himself as the loving God that He is?  Why is He invisible?  I don't know.  Wait, I do know.  I know He sent his only Son to this once perfect world now evil and corrupt by the ways of man to bear those sins on the cross.  I know he conquered death when He rose from the dead.  I know He lives.  I know that He will not allow this evil to continue.  I know He is coming back.  Until then, I know we have to be God's hands and feet in this world, demonstrating in word and deed God's love for His children.  Once we have seen we cannot turn away. This I know.

Crying for the World - Eden's Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment