Sunday, June 21, 2015

Cups of Cold Water

Matthew 10:42 New International Version (NIV)
42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

John 7:37New International Version (NIV)
37 On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink.

Matthew 25:35 New International Version (NIV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

2 Timothy 3:12 English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

Some years ago I attended a small church that held its prayer meeting every Saturday night.  Not only did that at first that seemed strange to me, but I also wondered if others would think me strange, a single woman who spent her Saturday nights at church.  I was so completely and gently folded into that group, however, that it wasn't long before that small gathering of believers were the dearest and closest to my heart.  I've been remembering this because of the terrible murders of those meeting for Bible study and prayer at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston.  Those dear believers going about their Father's business welcomed this stranger as our Lord instructed them to do.  It was their their last and perhaps best service this side of eternity.  I have to wonder, where will I be when my Father calls me home?    

Just a side note:  I married the man who moved me with his spoken prayers during those meetings and stirred my heart to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment