Monday, June 27, 2016

Decently And In Order

1 Corinthians 14:40 English Standard Version (ESV)
40 But all things should be done decently and in order.

Mark 6:39-41 English Standard Version (ESV)
39 Then he commanded them all to sit down in groups on the green grass. 40 So they sat down in groups, by hundreds and by fifties. 41 And taking the five loaves and the two fish he looked up to heaven and said a blessing and broke the loaves and gave them to the disciples to set before the people. And he divided the two fish among them all.

She remains a mystery to me, my mother.  Summer tourists rolling through my town remind me of the camping trips my parents took us on when we were children.  How my mother managed organize a car full of children, camping equipment, food, dishes, towels, swimming suits, play clothes, sleeping bags, pillows and even a potty seat, I do not know.  But she did.  Yes, she had help from Dad, loading the car, driving and setting up camp; but how did she ever manage to pull off such an endeavor in an age where you couldn't on a McDonald's in every town?  I can remember her passing back wax paper wrapped tuna sandwiches into the back seat of the car as we rode along.  I can remember her timing our showers in order to get the most children clean in a campground pay shower on a hard earned dime.  We may have looked like ragamuffins but we were clean.  They both seemed happy, my parents, surrounded by children tucked in sleeping bags, and surprisingly relaxed.  
Organization may not be a fruit of the spirit but it seems to have been my mother's spiritual gift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment