Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Way Was and Yet Is

1 Timothy 4:12 English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Romans 12:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.[b]

This week I have been reminded of the Jesus Movement of my 70's youth.  While I was not converted during that movement, I was, like much of my generation, influenced by it, especially during my Christian college years.  My first roommate, arrived in my dorm, fresh from a summer spent on a Christian commune.  Her bare feet peeked out from the hem of her long granny dresses. She was a vegetarian who preferred natural foods.  At night, she eschewed the comforts of a dorm bed and slept on a pallet  on our floor.  I'm not sure that I can remember her ever wearing shoes that year, except for the Thanksgiving that I spent at her parents' home.  It seemed to be everything my home was not.  Her parents were educated and prosperous, refined and cultured.  Classical music played as we ate at a beautifully set table.  After dinner, instead of football, her younger siblings entertained us by playing their recorders.  Yes, I was homesick, and I had to wonder what they thought of their daughter. Was her lifestyle a phase she'd outgrow?   
In college I was introduced to a Christianity that required social justice, guitar music, non violence, and love.  I hope now that we are old enough for all our dresses to be granny dresses, we are maturing not only in body but also our faith and love of Jesus.  He is still the Way.
The Audrey Assad video of an old hymn, "Be Thou My Vision," reminded me of our younger selves, and my barefoot roommate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment