Sunday, October 7, 2012

Doing All Things Well


Mark 7:37 NIV
People were overwhelmed with amazement. "He has done everything well," they said. "He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak."

I'm up late tonight because I've been caught up in what I thought would be an easy song to upload to YouTube, but has turned out otherwise.  I wanted to make a video that would honor my friend's life and death, and I asked my husband to watch it expecting and wanting his approval.   He honestly told me that the images in the slide show went by too fast.   That wasn't what I wanted to hear!   I think I became so besotted with the pretty pictures that I failed to see just how many I was using.  So now I've been caught up in redoing it because my friend deserves a good tribute and my God my best effort.  I want to do all things well, especially what is intended to glorify my God; and that requires a sacrifice of time and a higher level of commitment.  I will still likely have too many images for my husband's taste but not for mine.  

I learned our differences early on in our marriage, when I saw how long it took my husband to open a wedding gift.  Each one received his greatest care and admiration and not just the gift but also the card and even the wrapping paper.  On the other hand, I was eager to just tear into the wrapping paper just to finish the job.  We were as different as our families of origin.  

Tonight we drove up the crooked road that my great-grandfather had laid out.  He wanted an easier way from point A to point B so he made his own road, but he did it my family's way.  When a big stump blocked the straight path, he just detoured  around it.  If it had been my husband's ancestor, I'm sure the road would be smooth and straight, no matter how many stumps had to be dynamited out of the ground. 

If we had an easy button for life's trials, how many would use it?  I know that I'd be in that number.  Even though God promises to refine us by fire and water, I would be still be wearing out the button from all my pushing.  

God, help me to do all things well.


"All The Way My Savior Leads Me" - Rich Mullins



No comments:

Post a Comment