Saturday, January 25, 2014

Comforting Church Ladies

Painting by Warner Sallman, Head of Christ, 1941.
2 Corinthians 1:4
New International Version (NIV)
4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

What does your Jesus look like?    Many artist have tried to depict Him, but the Bible gives us few clues.  This painting by Warner Sallman of the Head of Christ became my picture of Jesus throughout my childhood.  I was thinking about it today as I filled out new patient medical history forms, after abruptly a finding out I was without a healthcare provider because of Obama care.  This image was given to me as a child about to undergo surgery by the ladies in my church.  It was meant to be a comfort and it was.  I kept it for years, until as a young adult, I thought it too old-fashioned and gave it away.  I wish I hadn't done so; because such a remembrance of the love women held for the child of one of their own and their accompanying prayers has become more significant as the years have passed.  We should all appreciate the church ladies in our lives.  May they be richly blessed.  It's fitting that I add one more picture to this post, one of church dresses hung to dry on a clothes line, as well as a few bulletin notices from church ladies with typewriters:
She sang "I Will Not Pass This Way Again," giving much pleasure to the congregation. 

Bertha Belch, a missionary from Africa, will be speaking tonight at Calvary Methodist. Come hear Bertha Belch all the way from Africa. 

Ladies, don't forget the rummage sale.....It's a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Don't forget your husbands. 

The pastor would appreciate it if the ladies of the congregation would lend him their electric girdles for the pancake breakfast next Sunday. 


Potluck supper Sunday at 5:00 PM - prayer and medication to follow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment