Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Born In a Barn

Isaiah 32:18 English Standard Version (ESV)
18 My people will abide in a peaceful habitation,
    in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.

Luke 9:58New International Version (NIV)
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
My childhood home is for sale and if I had a couple of hundred thousand dollars to spare, I'd buy it without hesitation, such is my appreciation for family history.  It's a big old Victorian house, built in 1900, painted white just as it always has been.  Today I made my husband stop so we could peek in the windows now that the previous owners had moved out. I could see that the living room fireplace now holds a free standing wood stove, so it wouldn't be quite the same as the fires my dad used to build.  Then we saw that the back porch where my mother used to wash our clothes in all sorts of weather is now enclosed.  She'd have liked that.  Someone had added a hot tube, something we all would have liked!  I saw the door to the stairs that dad would climb with us children every night to put us to bed.  Still it was very evident that the house had aged just like the large brood of kids it used to hold.  I wish I could have run through the house leaving both doors open if it would mean hearing my dad yell once more, "Were you born in a barn?"
No, I wasn't but my Savior was.  Isn't that amazing?

In the Bleak Midwinter - James Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment