Saturday, December 13, 2014

Comfort and Joy

John 15:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

James 1:2-3New International Version (NIV)
Trials and Temptations
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

Luke 2:9-11 New International Version (NIV)
9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.

Revelation 21:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

A picture my husband took of a store window tonight is decorating this blog entry.  He took it after we again visited our loved one in the nursing home.  I wondered what this man might want for Christmas when he is unable to even hold or unwrap a gift.  We spoke with him of joy, leading my husband to sing a bit of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," with an emphasis on the comfort and joy.  Yes, those are two things this merry gentleman needs a continued supply of comfort and joy; because, from that supply he gives.  There was a time when he lead my youth group in singing, "This is my commandment that you love one another that your joy may be full."  He taught us teenagers of the fullness of joy.  Tonight my joy was full as I watched my husband spoon feed him a cup of pudding, and then gently wipe his tears away.  We also sang, read Scripture, and prayed with him; but I think the greatest joy was wiping away the tears of a man no longer able to do so.  We got to stand in for God on that one!   As we left this dear man extended his hand for my husband to hold.  Saint Francis was right to pray that it is in giving that we receive.  
Celtic Thunder - 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen'

No comments:

Post a Comment