Sunday, May 31, 2015

Grandparent Lessons

Psalm 145:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 One generation shall commend your works to another,
    and shall declare your mighty acts.

Deuteronomy 4:9English Standard Version (ESV)
9 “Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children—

When I saw this old photo, I was immediately taken back to the days of my childhood, riding in the back seat of my grandparents' car as they left the farm to go to town.  Even though it was a very small town in a rural area, they always dressed with great care for the occasion.  Presenting yourself with decorum to your fellow citizens and neighbors was a sign of your respect for them.  I tend to forget that as a great lover of casual dress who can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose   Today in church I sat behind a young man wearing a tee shirt earned from a local mud run.  Every time he leaned over I could read a caption that was one replacement letter away from being obscene...sigh...I still don't want to wear pantyhose but I should remember what my grandparents taught by deed and word and apply it in my own life.  Perhaps, should I be so blessed, my future grandchildren will learn it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment