Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Aging Beautifully

Simeon and Anna Praise the infant Jesus, Arent de Gelder (Flemish) ca. 1700.

Luke 2:36-37 New International Version (NIV)
36 There was also a prophet, Anna, the daughter of Penuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37 and then was a widow until she was eighty-four.[a] She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying.

Isaiah 46:4 New International Version (NIV)
4 Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

I was visiting my elderly, widowed mother in the hospital Sunday night.  Age appears to be taking its toll on her; and she accepts it, if not welcomes it.  She's a hard woman to slow down; and, until now, very little has.  She is, just as she is, a precious, highly valued child of God, but it can be hard for her to just be and not do.  In spite of or because of her situation, I found myself strangely grateful that I could finally show her, a captive audience, videos I had uploaded to Youtube and watch her enjoyment of them.   She financially provided for me the computer I use to make them; but never before had stopped to watch one, let alone three!  It let me be a little girl, who still needs a mother's attention.  So, thanks Mom!  You're wanted, loved...and beautiful.

When I made the video for this Emmylou Harris song, I did it with Mom in mind.

Back When We Were Beautiful - Emmylou Harris 

No comments:

Post a Comment