Friday, April 1, 2016

Detour On the Road to the Promised Land



Marc Chagall - The Hebrews adore the golden calf, 1931 

When the people saw how long it was taking Moses to come back down the mountain, they gathered around Aaron. “Come on,” they said, “make us some gods who can lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt.” Exodus 32:1

Remember your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.[a] You bound yourself with an oath to them, saying, ‘I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars of heaven. And I will give them all of this land that I have promised to your descendants, and they will possess it forever.’” Ex. 32:13

I always felt it was unacceptable that in Exodus 32 the Israelites made the golden calves. When I read verse 1, though, I can sympathize a little with them. Forty days had passed since they had last seen their leader Moses. When was he coming back, or was he? Did he take off with God? We know the rest of the story, but they were in the middle of making the story. They probably did consider him AWOL. Panicking, they went with what the neighbor pagans did, worship idols.

I think Moses does a magnificent job patching things up between God and his people. He reminds God (as if He needed it) of His promises. He keeps his own temper under control. He could have reminded God of His justice and advocated for destruction. But, no, he keeps his cool. It is interesting that he didn't qualify to enter the promised land. I get to, but I haven't been under the pressure Moses was.
beanscot's husband

No comments:

Post a Comment