Friday, September 21, 2012

Jesus In The Deep End


Isaiah 43:2
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.

I watched, amused,  at the town's pool as the little children arrived for swimming class.  The teachers would pull a chain on a poolside shower for each child to pass under, but their little students seemed determined not to get wet, mostly succeeding as they dashed through the shower's spray.  
I find myself doing the same thing with Jesus, also my teacher.  Sure, I'm dressed for the water.   I've learned my Sunday School lessons, about God parting the Red Sea, about Jesus walking on water.  I've I also know I could and should trust Him to keep me from drowning.  I've even been baptized, dunked in the church's tank.  Still, when I come to the water's edge, I hesitate.   I want to dash through threatening waters without getting wet.   Life isn't like that, at least on this side of eternity.  When I'm in troubled waters, my Jesus is right there with me.  He understands and still loves me, even when I'm wearing floaties on my arms.  He knows that I need Him.  I know I can trust Him.  

"Part The Waters/I Need Thee Every Hour" - Selah


No comments:

Post a Comment