Friday, May 10, 2013

Even Jesus Had a Mom



Luke 1:46-55
English Standard Version (ESV)
Mary's Song of Praise: The Magnificat

46 And Mary said,

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
    For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
49 for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his name.
50 And his mercy is for those who fear him
    from generation to generation.
51 He has shown strength with his arm;
    he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
    and exalted those of humble estate;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things,
    and the rich he has sent away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    in remembrance of his mercy,
55 as he spoke to our fathers,
    to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”

I could be labeled a fundamental, evangelical Christian, a bit shy of liturgy and incense, or any other church thing that might threaten my belief in salvation through grace alone, Jesus being my saving grace.  I like bringing out Mary for Christmas and Easter, because she was there for her Son's birth and death, but   I give little thought to her the rest of the year.  I'm being convicted to remember her this Mother's Day because no mother wants to be neglected on that day, and neither would Mary.  I suspect even Jesus would have been in the card store searching for the right card for His mom if such things existed during His time on earth.  I think that in loving her He would have also honored her.  
It couldn't have been easy being Mary but she was blessed indeed. 

"Sing Like Mary Sang" - Ryan Delmore

No comments:

Post a Comment