Saturday, May 11, 2013

Family Bibles


Psalm 103:17
New International Version (NIV)
17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the Lord’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children—
Proverbs 1:8-9
New International Version (NIV)
8 Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
    and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
9 They are a garland to grace your head
    and a chain to adorn your neck.
2 Timothy 2:15
English Standard Version (ESV)
15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved,[a] a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

As I write this, my iPad is charging because I'll be carrying it to church tomorrow as my Bible.  Yes, times have changed.  The young man who lives in our house but doesn't want to be blogged about has the Bible on his smart phone and electronic tablet.  My husband, however, still carries and reads the Bible old style.  Actually all three of us have print Bibles that we cherish and read but the new-fangled versions are nice too.  I like that they're easy to hold and I can enlarge the print with a swipe of my fingers, but I might miss the sound of pages turning during church; and I have to wonder if all those sword drills of my youth were for naught, since I can now electronically summon a verse at will.  Times may change but God's word never does.  I'm thankful for my parents who impressed on me the need to learn it.  It's the truth that has set me free.  

Such are my meandering thoughts  because I enjoyed listening to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash sing "The Family Bible" on Youtube this morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment