Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Wretch Like Me

Revelation 3:17
English Standard Version (ESV)
17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.
Romans 3:10-11
English Standard Version (ESV)
10 as it is written:
“None is righteous, no, not one;
11     no one understands;
    no one seeks for God.
Ephesians 2:1-3
English Standard Version (ESV)
By Grace Through Faith
2 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body[a] and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.[b]
Matthew 1:21
King James Version (KJV)
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Galatians 2:20
English Standard Version (ESV)
20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

“Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.”
― John Newton, Amazing Grace

On this last night of Olympic Games coverage I am again struck how today's culture celebrates the worth of an individual and the worth of a people over celebrating the worth of our Great God.    Culture has shifted to where the most important knowledge we can pass on to a child is they are wonderful and special just as they are.  What to do with Christians that believe in death to self and life in Jesus Christ?  Self affirmation is empowering only to those who have no expectation or desire for an eternity with Jesus.  My parents and my grandparents never talked self esteem.  Instead I was taught early in life that all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.  I was taught of the great love of Jesus who died on the cross for my sins.  I was taught in God's eyes my worth was of such astounding value that He exchanged the life of His only Son for mine.  While I still live in the flesh I'm always going lose battles over my insecurities, but I'll never lose the security of my salvation.  That's enough, truly enough, for me.   

Chris Tomlin - Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)

No comments:

Post a Comment