Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Of The End of the World, Plumbing, and Philadelphia



1 Thessalonians 5:18
English Standard Version (ESV)
18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
It's funny how when you think your world has come to an end it still keeps spinning.  There's still laundry to be done, meals to be cooked, bills to be paid. Being thankful in all circumstances is a challenge.  I've been sitting at my computer waiting for our one bathroom to be freed, an exercise in patience and self control, trying to remember that there are many people in the world who don't even have one bathroom to call their own.  I'm also remembering the bathroom wars of my childhood, including a memorable breaking of hinges on the bathroom door.  My father perhaps wanting to teach us a lesson didn't fix that door right away either; and if we wanted any privacy at all we had to lift it up and prop it in place.
Earlier I thought it too cold today, before remembering that it could be worse; and yes, it could be worse. I could be in Philadelphia.  I do not doubt they're really cold there, because I survived Philadelphia's blizzard of 1978.  Lessons from the past still teach me gratitude for today and without those lessons my faith in God would be a puny one.  I like this song by Amy Grant, "How Mercy Looks From Here."
"How Mercy Looks From Here" Amy Grant Music Video 2013

Yes, things could be worse.  I like how sure and steady this family looks, and they don't even have electric heat and indoor plumbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment