Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Mighty Faith in a Mighty God

Hebrews 11:1-6 King James Version (KJV)

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

My husband and I visited our loved one again in the nursing home tonight.  His affliction has seemed almost cruel because it has robbed this man who served his whole adult life as a preacher of the gospel of much of his ability to communicate.  But God knows him, who has loved the Lord his God with all his heart, soul, strength and mind, and yet keeps him.   After my husband read the first verses from Hebrews 11, he responded with a clear, strong voice four times: "Please Him.  Please Him.  Please Him.  Please Him," followed by "Faith.  Faith.  Faith.  Faith."  I knew then that I had just heard a deeply profound sermon.  We even had music, as my husband then broke into singing the chorus of the Charles Wesley hymn, "Father of Jesus Christ My Lord."   So we both sang to this man of mighty faith.
Faith, mighty faith, the promise sees,
And looks to God alone;
Laughs at impossibilities,
And shouts, It shall be done!
And shouts, it shall, it shall be done!
Laughs at impossibilities, 
and shouts it shall be done.

The hymn ends with these final two verses:

To Thee the glory of Thy power
And faithfulness I give;
I shall in Christ, at that glad hour,
And Christ in me shall live.

Obedient faith that waits on Thee,
Thou never wilt reprove;
But Thou wilt form Thy Son in me,
And perfect me in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment