Monday, August 3, 2015

Seek and Build



Now seek the Lord your God with all your heart. Build the sanctuary of the Lord God so that you can bring the Ark of the Lord's covenant and the holy vessels of God into the Temple built to honor the Lord's name. I Chronicles 22:19

Seek and build.

The context here is David rounding up support for his son Solomon to get the Lord's temple built. David has a vision for this, but was told that he wasn't the king who would see it through. Solomon was.

Seek and build. Were they sequential or simultaneous? Were they one time or ongoing? I would say that seeking was praying, which we often think of as the first step of a spiritual project. However, there is a jumping-off point where we ought to do something relative to what we've been praying about. But, God wants our fellowship with him (I John 1:3), so we ought to pray again, then work again, and so on. Maybe that's why we hit snags in our projects, so that we don't take a one-and-done approach to prayer.

I ask myself: when has enough prayer been offered up relative to my "building"? Do I ever procrastinate the building by saying I should pray more? When do I assume I know what I am doing and don't consult God?

Some say the real work is done on one's knees, because it harnesses God's necessary power. In spiritual work, that has to be partially true.  On the other hand, the temple did have to be built through human effort. So should we spend most of our time working or most of our time praying? I think if we do both right along and avoid extremes, well, things will get done.

Seek and build.

beanscot's husband

Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys - I'm Working On A Building

No comments:

Post a Comment