Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Future and a Hope




 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jer. 29:11

One can only guess how many fridges display this verse. I didn’t realize that this verse is sort of a lightning rod of controversy until I did an online search prior to writing this. Of course, the controversy centers around its application to us today. Much has been written already, so I will briefly comment here.

First, the verse isn’t a fill-in-the-blank for the kind of future we want. God says the plans and purposes are His for Israel in the immediate sense, and so they likely are for us too.

Second, God says He is not out to harm Israel. It is almost overlooked that surely it is true that He is not out to harm Christians either.

Third, we want desperately to see this verse guaranteeing a custom tailored future for us. I am the same, and I think it is safe to say that that is indeed true for the believer. If I or someone else needs to cling to this verse to feel the concept true, go ahead, I say.

Fourth, Christ has purchased a redemptive future for us —that is a special thing. It may involve the creature comforts we desire as well as suffering. Likely it will be both. The point to take away is that God’s love is active in your life, and He will do whatever to pound that point home The fact that he bought this redemptive future makes it valuable and prosperous in God’s eyes. Hopefully it will be in ours also.
beanscot's husband

No comments:

Post a Comment