Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Weep Like Jesus

Hebrews 2:9 English Standard Version (ESV)
9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

1 Timothy 2:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Hebrews 13:8 English Standard Version (ESV)
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

An unexpected death this weekend of someone I cared about has left me 
wondering if I was a good enough witness for my Lord Jesus.  I know I can trust her with God and know that even my own shortcomings wouldn't have stopped the Savior from redeeming her for Himself.  Still I feel stymied, if not defeated, by this culture that wants those redeemed by the Lord to live in the closets that have been vacated by unrepentant sinners.  Because of the places where I'm not allowed to share my faith, I find an easy comfort in those safe zones where I can sing to the choir rather than preach to the lost.  I'm sure God wants me to be brave rather than safe, to be a light in the dark places, even if my light is prone to trembling.  
I like this old hymn recorded by Indelible Grace Music.  It tells me that Jesus wept that we might also weep.  

Did Christ Over Sinners Weep (feat Matthew Smith) - Indelible Grace
DID CHRIST OVER SINNERS WEEP?
TEXT:
Henry Lyte
MUSIC:
Blake Mundell
1. Did Christ over sinners weep, 
And shall our cheeks be dry? 
Let floods of penitential grief, 
Burst forth from every eye 
Burst forth from every eye

Chorus: Behold the Son of God in tears, 
The angels wondering see 
Hast thou no wonder, O my soul? 
He shed those tears for thee!

2. He wept that we might weep, 
Might weep over sin and shame 
He wept to show His love for us, 
And bid us love the same 
And bid us love the same (Chorus)

3. Then tender be our hearts, 
Our eyes in sorrow dim 
Til every tear from every eye, 
Be wiped away by Him 
Be wiped away by Him 
Be wiped away by Him (Chorus)

No comments:

Post a Comment