Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Steal Away to Jesus

Luke 5:16 New International Version (NIV)
16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

I was first introduced to the idea of an actual prayer closet by an enthusiastic college friend who had converted a hall closet into one.  Now I know that I'd seen one years earlier, when my non-driving mother used to take her books out to our park cared to sit, read and pray.  Even then it wasn't the perfect option as we children could look on and wonder.  With a house full of children, though it was what she could do.   So should I do what I can do.  May I never lose my desire to spend time alone with Jesus and may I purse that time with a passion.  I'd rather get to know Jesus now and not wait for Heaven to become acquainted.  I found a fragment of a song, an African American spiritual, recorded by Russ Taff in 1987 to share on Youtube.  The full lyrics are below. 

Steal Away- Russ Taff
from The Books of American Negro Spirituals
by J. W. Johnson, J. R. Johnson

Steal away, steal away, steal away to Jesus
Steal away, steal away home
I ain't got long to stay here

My Lord, He calls me
He calls me by the thunder
The trumpet sounds within-a my soul
I ain't got long to stay here

Green trees are bending
Po' sinner stand a-trembling
The trumpet sounds within-a my soul
I ain't got long to stay here  

No comments:

Post a Comment