Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Vision for Peace

Norman Rockwell, The Peacecorps, JFK's bold legacy
Psalm 133:1King James Version (KJV)
133 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Hebrews 13:1English Standard Version (ESV)
13 Let brotherly love continue.
For the Fourth of July I uploaded a Peter, Paul & Mary song to Youtube, "Because All Men Are Brothers," and found myself thinking of my brother-in-law who served in The Peace Corp in the 1960's.  Because he left us too soon, I'm wishing that I had asked him about his service, what he did and why.  Was we driven to do good or was it a means to escape the draft?  If I had asked, he likely would have answered truthfully.  Regardless of his reasons, he served others as well as his country.  
I cherish an evening spent in his home, when this very quiet man pulled out his guitar and began play and sing.  He had a lovely voice and he honored us by sharing his gift.  I could almost see the young man that he had been as he sang. In his honor, here's a song for all those who dream of peace.
Because All Men Are Brothers - Peter, Paul & Mary
(written by Tom Glazer)


No comments:

Post a Comment