Sunday, July 20, 2014

Numbering Our Days

Mental arithmetic France 1956 Robert Doisneau
Psalm 90:12English Standard Version (ESV)
12 So teach us to number our days
    that we may get a heart of wisdom.

Isaiah 49:16New International Version (NIV)
16 See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
    your walls are ever before me.

Hebrews 8:12New King James Version (NKJV)
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds[a] I will remember no more.”[b]

James 1:12English Standard Version (ESV)
12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

I was chatting with my mother today.  She told me her father had a photographic memory.  He could read something once and remember it.  He taught himself carpentry from reading and many other things.  His children would make a game out of it and try to find something in a book that he didn't know, but he always did.   My grandfather left his Nova Scotia home when he was 12 years old. somehow ending up in California, and would have gone hungry if it weren't for the abundant oranges.  The story picks up again when he saw my grandmother waiting at the train station for her father.  He declared then and there that he would marry that girl.  So he did.   He also never ate oranges again.  This conversation came about because I had googled his name and found the 1940 census for his very large family.  Only nine were listed, though, the older children having already left home.       
There so many things that are counted yet still forgotten in this life, that it makes me thankful we have a God that we can count on in eternity.  Consider what our Lord counts and what He doesn't.   He, who has the true photographic memory, promises to forget our sins but remember our love.  How wonderful is that?  
I Stand Amazed (How Marvelous How Wonderful) - Gaither Tent Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment