Thursday, July 10, 2014

My God, My Lifebelt

Examining Lifebelts on Titanic, A photograph of a board of trade inspector examining lifebelts on Titanic at Southampton

Proverbs 14:12New King James Version (NKJV)
12 There is a way that seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death.

Psalm 127:1King James Version (KJV)
127 Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.

Matthew 7:26New King James Version (NKJV)
26 “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:

Hebrews 2:3New King James Version (NKJV)
3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,
John 14:6New King James Version (NKJV)
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
I was astounded to see that there was a lifebelt inspector on the Titanic!  I'm not sure why because it makes perfect sense; but hindsight allows me to see the near futility of his efforts, that he might have been better off taking a sick day.  I've spent time myself inspecting lifebelts when I should have been watching out for icebergs.    We're inspecting lifebelts too when we fail to heed God's instructions.  We're hitting icebergs when we ignore so great a salvation. God sent His Son to save us and gave us His word to know Him.  He is our compass.  He is our lifebelt.  He has charted our course and we are unsinkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment