Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Door of Mercy

These are three of my favorite images.   They speak to me of the love of mercy of God:  the woman who gets her slate wiped clean while the angels rejoice, the contented child leaning into her Savior's embrace, and the woman clutching with gratitude the feet of Jesus while he places a loving hand on her head.   I like to think that these images represent me at different times in my walk of faith.   Unfortunately, sometimes this next image is what I'm all about:
Sigh. . . Still, my Savior loves me.   Amazing Grace, indeed!   When I was a child I really enjoyed raising my voice in church to the old hymn, "On Calvary."  I may not have spent years then in "vanity and pride" but I'm sure I've accumulated those years since I first asked Jesus into my heart as a little girl.  I'm reminded of the hymn, again, as I look at these images.   Sing with me!

  1. Years I spent in vanity and pride,
    Caring not my Lord was crucified,
    Knowing not it was for me He died
    On Calvary.
    • Refrain:
      Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
      Pardon there was multiplied to me;
      There my burdened soul found liberty
      At Calvary.
  2. By God’s Word at last my sin I learned;
    Then I trembled at the law I’d spurned,
    Till my guilty soul imploring turned
    To Calvary.
  3. Now I’ve giv’n to Jesus everything,
    Now I gladly own Him as my King,
    Now my raptured soul can only sing
    Of Calvary!
  4. Oh, the love that drew salvation’s plan!
    Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
    Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
    At Calvary!
  5. On Calvary written by William R. Newell, 1895, Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment