Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thanking God for Sisters







"To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time." 
~ Clara Ortega


If your sister is in a tearing hurry to go out and cannot catch your eye, she's wearing your best sweater.  ~Pam Brown


I was living the good life of a baby sister until my little brother came along and spoiled the pecking order.   Still there are reasons to appreciate being the youngest of a gaggle of girls.   Yes, I got the hand-me-downs but I also learned so much!  Through careful observation,  I learned that cotton bras needed ironing,  hair had to be teased to a perfect pouf, and nail polish could be used to stop a run in nylons.   I probably learned more than they ever realized.  As I write I realize a smile has crept to my lips.  Yes, there's still plenty I could tell Mom, ladies.    


I am thankful for my older siblings.   They were first in the line of fire, fighting battles that set me free.   At times I must have been a miserable little goody-two-shoes, getting through the teen years mostly unscathed.  When my parents said something like, "If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you jump too?" it was usually directed to their older offspring.  


A sister's birthday has me running down this trail of memories.  She is a godly woman of grace and beauty.   A better woman than I am, she is still teaching me how to live in a way that is pleasing to God.  Happy Birthday, Dear Sister!





No comments:

Post a Comment