Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No Scar?

Amy Carmichael

A book that I cherish is the autobiography of Amy Carmichael,  A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, written by Elizabeth Elliot.  My mother-in-law who gave it to me, the author, Elizabeth Elliot, and Amy Carmichael, a lifelong missionary to India, are three women who have inspired me.  I'll now add a fourth woman, Nancy Watters, a widow two years now, who served with her husband, as missionary in Tibet.  Here is a link to their book, At The Foot of the Snows:
http://www.footofthesnows.com/

This past Sunday on a day honoring her service she recited Amy Carmichael's poem, "No Scar?"  It was moving and appropriate.   There is beauty in the scarring that comes from following Jesus.

No Scar?

Hast thou no scar?
No hidden scar on foot, or side, or hand?
I hear thee sung as mighty in the land;
I hear them hail thy bright, ascendant star.
Hast thou no scar?

Hast thou no wound?
Yet I was wounded by the archers; spent,
Leaned Me against a tree to die; and rent
By ravening beasts that compassed Me, I swooned.
Hast thou no wound?

No wound? No scar?
Yet, as the Master shall the servant be,
And piercèd are the feet that follow Me.
But thine are whole; can he have followed far
Who hast no wound or scar?


Beautiful Terrible Cross - Selah


No comments:

Post a Comment