Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Every Body Dies, But Every Soul Lives


2 Corinthians 5:6-8
English Standard Version (ESV)
6 So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

1 Corinthians 15:19
New International Version (NIV)
19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.


I Corinthians 15:50-58

New International Version (NIV)

50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”[h]


55 “Where, O death, is your victory?

    Where, O death, is your sting?”[i]
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.


Rheumatoid Arthritis is said to shorten a person's lifetime; and now that I have that disease, will it shorten mine?   I don't think so, not really.  I expect not to live in this failing body a day longer than God intended me to live, and I expect to live with my God for a glorious eternity.  I am most blessed to know my real home is with my Jesus, who is even now preparing a place for me.   One day, I don't know when, I'll walk from earth into eternity, straight into my Savior's arms.  Every body dies, but every soul lives.   I pray that your soul will have the same hope.  An eternity separated from God is a most terrible destination.

This song is from a young group that I was privileged to hear sing at my company Christmas party.  
"Hold On" - Witherow


The lyrics:
A sweet melody is softly rising from the coast
Faint and ethereal like a ghost
It calls to me and says


Hold on



At the end of the race

Will you say well done you good and faithful?
Because I'm lost and fearful
Of failing you another time
But you call out to me and say


Hold on




Psalm 73:26
New International Version (NIV)
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.




No comments:

Post a Comment