Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My God, My Mechanic

Psalm 71:20-21
English Standard Version (ESV)
20 You who have made me see many troubles and calamities
    will revive me again;
from the depths of the earth
    you will bring me up again.
21 You will increase my greatness
    and comfort me again.

2 Corinthians 5:17
English Standard Version (ESV)
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.[a] The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.


Joel 2:22-26
English Standard Version (ESV)
22 Fear not, you beasts of the field,
    for the pastures of the wilderness are green;
the tree bears its fruit;
    the fig tree and vine give their full yield.
23 “Be glad, O children of Zion,
    and rejoice in the Lord your God,
for he has given the early rain for your vindication;
    he has poured down for you abundant rain,
    the early and the latter rain, as before.
24 “The threshing floors shall be full of grain;
    the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.
25 I will restore[a] to you the years
    that the swarming locust has eaten,
the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter,
    my great army, which I sent among you.
26 “You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
    and praise the name of the Lord your God,
    who has dealt wondrously with you.
And my people shall never again be put to shame.

Isaiah 61:3
New International Version (NIV)
3     and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

At first I was just amused by this photo of "Jesus is Lord, Garage and Salvage." sign but then it seemed very right.  I'm familiar with garage and salvage yards because of all the cars my husband has tried to keep going over the years.  We've enjoyed many miles in cars that were just hanging on.  We've pulled loads too big to pull, run on too little gas, and have gone off the road in all the wrong places.  It's been adventurous motoring with a man who wants to get the most bang for his buck.  I'm glad he's not my God.  I'm glad I'm not my own God too.  It's just not in our skill sets.

Thankfully God is my lead mechanic; and when it seems as if I'll forever be a broken down wreck in His garage, He moves and acts.  Even if it seems as if He's had to send out for new parts from the farthest corner of the universe, he does restore, repair, and salvage my life for His glory and purpose.  At least, He does, if I don't roar out of his garage at the first spark of life, my impatience causing me only trouble further down the road.  Still, His tow truck arrives once again for me.  The good Christian in me wants to write, let the locusts swarm and the fires rage because my God will make me better than ever; but I'm a little afraid He'll do just that!  It looks like He'll be working on a few more trust issues with me.  Sigh.  

"I Knew What I Was Getting Into" - Misty Edwards




No comments:

Post a Comment