Monday, July 8, 2013

My God of the Battlefields

A Red Cross nurse takes down the last words of a British soldier”. Somewhere on the Western Front. ca 1917...

“Don't bother to give God instructions; just report for duty."
― Corrie ten Boom

2 Timothy 2:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

Romans 8:18
New International Version (NIV)
Present Suffering and Future Glory
18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

"Onward Christian Soldiers" was the anthem that sent me marching to my childhood Sunday school class; and, Oh, did I ever want to be a good soldier in the Lord's Army, not realizing then the cost paid or the cost required.  I didn't understand suffering then and fight against it even now.  Following Christ is an unavoidable invitation to suffer.  I can't step around it, only through it.  Since I'd rather leave this life wearing combat boots than glass slippers, I'll continue to report for duty.  
"We Won't Be Shaken" - Building 429



No comments:

Post a Comment