Thursday, July 25, 2013

My God Who Dispenses Medicine



Hebrews 12:11

English Standard Version (ESV)

11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.



I had to go to the rheumatologist today.  He takes blood every visit to make sure the prescribed medicine is working and not shutting down my liver or some other awful business. Every prescription I take comes with dire warnings, leaving me to wonder what one will kill me first.  In spite of that, it's still better to take the medicine than not, because not doing so would render me an invalid.  
Sometimes it's so hard to do what is good for us, to swallow the medicine needed not just for our bodies but also our souls.  If I'm reluctant to acknowledge a sin, it's because I don't want to stop sinning.  I call my sins, mistakes, not sin, because they've become beloved pets; and like a child who can stop picking at a sore, I return again and again to revel in the pain of my sin.  
Step up, sinner.  Take the bittersweet cure that brings healing to your soul.  Jesus came to save sinners, such as I.  
"Fall On The Rock" - Buddy Miller



No comments:

Post a Comment