Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Love that Comforts


Proverbs 3:15
English Standard Version (ESV)
15 She is more precious than jewels,
    and nothing you desire can compare with her.

Proverbs 3:17
English Standard Version (ESV)
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
    and all her paths are peace.
 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
English Standard Version (ESV)
God of All Comfort
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.[a]


Tonight I'm feeling especially thankful for sisters after receiving a hand crocheted comfort shawl from my eldest sister.  I wrap it around my aching shoulders and it feels like love, a hug and a prayer.  I know that she has also made and given another one to my sister who shares in my affliction of rheumatoid arthritis.  I started to write that love like this is a counterweight to pain but that's not quite right.  It's really a love that overwhelms pain until it is small enough to be nearly insignificant.   None of us will get through life without pain.  I feel both sorrow and pity, however, for a soul who progresses through life without love, especially when there is a Savior who dearly wants to bestow His love on any who'd come to Him.  
He's holding out a comfort shawl and pleading, "Just come, child.  Just come."
"Come to Jesus" - Gaither Vocal Band


No comments:

Post a Comment