Saturday, December 7, 2013

Caught Napping

Matthew 8:23-27
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Calms the Storm

23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”

26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”
Nearly every day of my life and three to four times a day a ferry travels between my town and a northern port.  I've never once given thought to its sinking, even when I've ridden it during a storm.  It has always been a constant and faithful vessel and I've never expected it to be otherwise.  Knowing this, I'd like to think that if I had been in the boat on that stormy sea that I would have been a disciple, curled up and catching up on my sleep like Jesus.  Yes, I would like to think it; but I know it wouldn't have been me.  I would have been screaming at Jesus just like the rest, "Wake up!  Maybe you can walk on water but I can't!"  Panic first and pray later could be my life motto.  Too often I forget who's in the boat with me, my Jesus, who commands not only the boat but the seas it rides upon.    
Father, increase my faith so I may be a faithful vessel for my Lord.
Isaiah 26:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 You will keep in perfect peace
    those whose minds are steadfast,
    because they trust in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment