Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Servant King

"No Room At The Inn" art by Margaret Tarrant
Luke 2:7
King James Version (KJV)
7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Mark 10:43-45
New International Version (NIV)
43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
1 Corinthians 2:9
English Standard Version (ESV)
9 But, as it is written,
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
    nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—
Sometimes I confuse my American ideals with my Christian faith.  Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness was given to me by my government but not by my God.  If the Son of God was born to be a servant how can I expect more?  I am entitled to nothing but, because of Jesus, I have been given everything.  I believe I'll trade in the American dream for God's promises, but I must first gladly assume of holy calling of servanthood.    
"Just A Girl" Brandon Heath Official Lyric Video

No comments:

Post a Comment