Sunday, December 15, 2013

My God of All Ages

Isaiah 43:18-19
English Standard Version (ESV)
18 “Remember not the former things,
    nor consider the things of old.
19 Behold, I am doing a new thing;
    now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
I will make a way in the wilderness
    and rivers in the desert.
Romans 15:4
English Standard Version (ESV)
4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Psalm 146:10
English Standard Version (ESV)
10 The Lord will reign forever,
    your God, O Zion, to all generations.

Praise the Lord!
Hebrews 13:8
New International Version (NIV)
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Yesterday, I watched the movie, Into the Wild, a film by Sean Penn about the life and death of Christopher McCandless, the young man who went off on his great Alaskan Adventure only to dive from starvation in the unforgiving Alaskan wilderness.  This morning I read about a young local woman, who has adopted a Victorian lifestyle which includes the wearing of a corset.  I know the two are hardly comparable, the young Victorian is alive and well and now has a published book. Her fame is growing, which is certainly better than tragic, posthumous fame.  Still both individuals have me asking why.  I would not want to either live off the grid or in the past in order to find myself.  I've already been found by Jesus, who has provided for my every need through His Word.  

So in my meandering thoughts from this house of the level path, I remain thankful for modern conveniences and medical advances.  They certainly make living with rheumatoid arthritis easier.  I'm also happy I'm not writing on my old manual typewriter right now with fingers blue from carbon paper, even though that typewriter was my favorite Christmas gift from my parents.  What truly matters for anyone is Jesus Christ; and He remains the same, yesterday, today and forever. 
"How Great Is Our God" - Chris Tomlin

No comments:

Post a Comment