Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Choosing the Right Lens


Job 10:13-15  New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 ‘Yet these things You have concealed in Your heart;
I know that this is within You:
14 If I sin, then You would take note of me,
And would not acquit me of my guilt.
15 ‘If I am wicked, woe to me!
And if I am righteous, I dare not lift up my head.
I am sated with disgrace and [a]conscious of my misery.

Job is honest when addressing God. The only problem is that his opinion of God is colored by the lens he's looking through.

Of interest to me is that target shooting eyewear can come with many different colored lenses. Some lens colors are more vision-enhancing than others for a given kind of environmental light. You might be best to use a yellow lens for some light and a vermillion lens for another. The goal is to be able to see the target as clearly as possible and be successful in hitting it. Choosing the right lens can be important.

Job's lens he's looking through is his own pain. When he sees God, he sees Him as the cause of his pain, hence his take on God is that He is just a big, sovereign faultfinder. If I had Job's pain-filled glasses on, I might see the same thing. It points out how careful we have to be  in blocking our immediate situation from becoming the lens through which we assess God, especially when the situation is painful.


There are lots of people around who are believers in God, in so far as they do believe He is an all-seeing God. But that is it. They do not become trusters, to coin a word. Without the lens that has Jesus' cross and the Bible in it, they stop at knowing God is just, but not a loving God one would confide in. The lens makes all the difference.
--beanscot's husband
Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus - Selah


No comments:

Post a Comment